Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Melt

Address: 840 N High St, Columbus, Ohio 43215
Phone:(614) 453-1150

I've tried to keep an open mind about Melt, I truly have. With long lines since it has opened, and mixed reviews from those around me, I knew I would have to try it out- even with my initial apprehension. Brandon and I were driving by this week, and we noticed the place was pretty barren inside, so we decided it couldn't hurt to give it one chance (little did we know how wrong we were).

The interior is very Applebee's, and I don't mean that in a good way, based on the surrounding neighborhood. Not trying to be an elitist about it, but Melt seems very out of place against the backdrop of the Short North. I had heard rumors of hour long waits for tables, and another hour wait to get your food. Based on our timing, we managed to not have a wait to be seated. Although, we did have an odd time in the spacious lobby trying to find the unmarked hostess.

Displaying photo 1.JPG

When we were seated, we had menus printed on the back of records (yes, it is admittedly a fun idea). We also were given a very over-sized drinks and specials menu that had enough reading material for a few hours. Our server was nice and efficient, even if a bit timid in his approach. Drinks were delivered quick enough, and that's where the positive parts of our evening has to yield to honesty.

Brandon ordered the equivalent of fish and chips, and I ordered the Godfather sandwich. A slice of lasagna between two thick pieces of Texas toast. Sounds good enough (right?), however the two sandwiches took 45 minutes to come out, when they arrived at the table, they were cold. Brandon reported that his sandwich had a cohesive idea, but in application was messy and completely overpowered by the coleslaw. My sandwich was, without exaggeration, completely inedible! Think cold, thick, gummy, overcooked pasta mush with a flavorless sauce between two disgustingly greasy slices of garlic bread. Brandon reasoned that it was probably overcooked to begin with, then microwaved too long in preparation for sending it out. I did something that I hoped would never have to be done, I sent the sandwich back.

Our server was understanding and offered to correct the issue by letting me choose a new sandwich. Thinking it to be a safer choice, I obliged and chose the buffalo chicken sandwich. Brandon finished half of his sandwich, before I had ever got my replacement sandwich. Thankfully, this time it only took 15 minutes to obtain a cold sandwich with little to no cheese (despite this being their main selling point). The fries for all three meals were cold and tasted as if they were cooked in cold, old oil.

Displaying photo 2.JPG

Sending back the sandwich was not a decision I regret, however having done so, the quality of service was more catered to the rest of my individual meal. The buffalo chicken was delivered by a new server and he proceeded to explained to me that the Godfather was "just not for everyone" (Who the hell was it for then?) A person, we guessed a manager, checked in our table frequently -despite us having food in our mouths most of the times for her quick getaway. And while all the attention was being poured onto me, Brandon was completely ignored by the staff. As much as I tried to remain jovial to keep the evening fun for us, when you're company is being neglected, it's hard to feel sincerity.

The entire time we were at melt, we felt completely unwelcome. The environment was too spacious to be inviting. The food was hard to eat, too much, not at all note worthy, and in some instances repulsive. After eating, Brandon and I both felt sick to our stomachs, and were unsure if we should keep our leftovers. Melt, quite possibly, was one of the worst meals I have had in my Columbus experiences. Please, do yourself a favor and learn from my misfortune- DO NOT GO TO MELT!

Keep Eating,
JTFussy

No comments:

Post a Comment