Friday, January 3, 2014

A Call to Spoons

Outsider
out-sid-er 

Noun
1: A person who is not accepted by or who is isolated from society.
2: A competitor, applicant, etc., thought to have little chance of success.

For almost three years I have been a near stranger to the great city that is Columbus. This has partly been caused by my own thoughts chaining me to only the familiar and also in part to a nagging angst caused by the city's lackadaisy food scene. (There I Said It!)

I am young, quiet, and at times naive- but then again who isn't at some point in their life. However to me, like most people, food is more than a pile of energy waiting for entrance into our meat pipes. As a result I've dedicated the last 8 years of my life to learning all that I can about food, flavor, and the places that provide it all to us. I may have a fancy pants culinary degree and I may study flavor daily in my workplace- but fundamentally I am no different from anyone else. 

It has been pointed out to me that I am incredibly fussy when it comes to food, and why not? Shouldn't eating be an enjoyable experience? The food we eat should tempt and entice us during every meal! It is this drive for daily experiences that brings me to the point of this blog... true and accurate descriptions of the restaurants in the Columbus area. Who knows, maybe we'll see a few recipes along the way.

I know what must be going through your mind at this point... "Why don't I just focus on the reviews in the local paper?"  

Well dear reader: have you ever been disappointed by a restaurant that had a glowing review? I know I have! And with disappointing fingers and an upset stomach I will write, not so you can avoid the same mistakes I know will come, but to encourage growth in the community. If we desire food worth having, and places worth eating in, we can no longer rely upon overly optimistic reviews. My intent is not to bitch about a poor time, and it isn't to insult (I'm not looking for a 3 Michelin star restaurant) I'm looking for honesty, good food, and I hope these simple words can inspire a stronger food scene that lives up to expectations. 

Here's to our future:
JTFussy


No comments:

Post a Comment