Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Marcella's (Polaris)

Address: 1319 Polaris Pkwy, Columbus, OH 43240
Phone:(614) 844-6500

Polaris isn't my typical destination, and bustling Italian restaurants aren't typically my first choice of places to dine. But I do love me some great Italian food, and with Cameron Mitchel behind the world of Marcella's, why not give it a go?

I know that judging a restaurant by the family it belongs to can be shadowy ground to tread on. There are chefs, with multiple venues, that run efficiently and turn out memory after memory of great-tasting food. From my experiences with Cameron Mitchell, the food is great, and the service is well above average.

With first entering the doors, you are greeted with a warm, family friendly environment (almost like going to an Olive Garden). Rich, warm colors, accents of wood and stone- a place to have a business-casual, post-work dinner.

The caprese salad was very simple. Loads of split cherry tomato and a few chunks of mozzarella were drizzled with balsamic vinegar and a chili sauce. Sweet, acidic, and just a tinge of spice. The plate was tasty, though it lacked salt and had only 4 of the smallest possible basil leafs. With it, I ordered a pineapple highball, a tasty concoction of pineapple infused vodka, and other sweet liquors in a sugar rimmed up-glass. The highball was sweet and refreshing, even if not served in a highball glass (seems like common sense to me).

Next I had the shellfish risotto. Well-executed, chunks of shrimp and lobster swam through a pile of creamy rice. Large chunks of tomatoes were a nice relief, even if a bit large. My dish was most certainly pleasing, even if Brandon's plate had half a head of whole garlic cloves. 

We finished with coffee and tiramisu, even though I had originally considered a cannoli (they had been sold out). My affigato was rich and creamy, strong caramel undertones with rich coffee. The tiramisu was tasty, thick, rich, and creamy; there was nothing not to like about the very generous portion. I'm glad that I had witnessed a line cook eating what must have been the last cannoli, as I would probably not have made the same choice.

A pleasant experience, but nothing I had expected from the Cameron Mitchell family. Under-seasoned salad, wrong bar-ware, and cooks eating the last of menu items in the sight of customers. A good time was still had, and stomach went away full to the brim; I would take a second thought about choosing to go again. 


Keep Eating,
JTFussy

No comments:

Post a Comment