Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Mac's Cafe

Address: 693 N High St, Columbus, OH 43215
Phone:(614) 221-6227

Mac's has been a frequent source of scotch eggs for me since I first went there a few years ago. My pork-wrapped, fried-egg "cherry" was popped here. And unlike some people, my first time was wonderful! 

A perfectly cooked egg with sweet salty pork--hot, greasy, and textually-sound, and with their sage mayo next to a frosty glass of cider- I was in heaven. Unfortunately, every visit since that fateful day has just not lived up to my expectations. 

Mac's is covered from head to toe in wood, and with that faint smell of cigarettes lit a long time ago, you can tell that they aren't stuck up on what others think. The menu seems a bit playful when looking at the appetizer section, yet it gradually get's more and more simple. Plenty of salads and sandwiches are offered and are bound to please in someway, but not beg you to stick around past the happy hour app. special.


My scotch egg was a disappointment as soon as it arrived to the table, although it was large and I knew it would still satisfy that longing (to some degree), They egg itself was green around the outside-- unforgivable. Slathering it in the usual sage-mayonnaise and a few bright, diced tomato pieces helped, but still should have not been essential! 

Next came salads. Large entree size bowls of crispy lettuce adorned by cherry tomatoes and the usual bought croutons--nothing too exciting but a typical salad with a tasty-enough blue cheese dressing. I ended up boxing up half of the salad in fear that I wouldn't be able to even taste my next course. I took the fish and chips upon Brandon's suggestion, and he had the cottage pie. While my fish and chips were good once doused in vinegar, they lacked general seasoning. Brandon on the other hand, would have had a quite tasty cottage pie, if it had not been cold in the center (and not served with over-cooked broccoli). When finally breaking down and sending it back, it was returned with an even larger mound of gravy and the same over-cooked broccoli that had also stayed on the plate during the trip to the microwave.


We didn't stick around to see if there were desserts; with the portion sizes offered there wouldn't have been room. While Mac's Cafe may be a decent spot to grab a pint, I'd debate about exploring more of the menu. If you find yourself here, stick with the sandwiches and fish and chips offerings.

Keep Eating,
JTFussy



No comments:

Post a Comment