Saturday, February 15, 2014

Wolf's Ridge

Address: 215 N 4th St, Columbus, OH 43215
Phone:(614) 429-3936

I'm sorry that I've been gone for the last couple weeks Columbus. I've just been needing to find a restaurant that may actually impress me. Sadly to say, my search has still turned up little more than a few overpriced plates. 

One of the recently opened contenders to my list of "to try" restaurants was Wolf's Ridge Brewing Company.Another addition to the microbreweries of Columbus, I had heard positive remarks about their food. With the encouragement of a dear friend, I made my way to the fourth street location. 

Sleek, and clean: the restaurant's interior had me expecting great things. A semi-ope kitchen is always a bit of a heart-warmer for me. Wooden table tops with candles in jars brought the atmosphere to a more level playing field with the other "hip" places of the city.  Like many other restaurants of this setup the restaurant was loud; not in the busy form of the word, but rather in the not able to hear yourself think.

On the table was a drink and food menu (full of typos) for each person, and an awfully redundant vegetarian menu. There was only on new offering on the special vegetarian menu, that wasn't located on the standard food menu. The drink menu clearly highlighted the beers brewed in house, and although solid, very little concern was given to the other options. I had a French 75, a tasty sparkling, gin, lemonade, and the wine that followed was tasty enough. 


For starting the meal, we ordered some curried pickled vegetables. Tasty, and highly acidic they were quite delightful. Although each option in the vegetable mix (cauliflower, carrots, peppers, and green beans) was satisfying, I would have preferred each option to have been pickled in it's own solution containing a different  spices for a more flavorful medley. 

Next we ventured to the realm of soup and salads. My kabocha squash came out with grace and beauty, but fell flat with flavor. minimally garnished, I felt as though the soup needed some spice or acid to fully bring the dish to the next level. The rest of the table ordered salads. Brandon's salad was beautiful, and tasted well for being under seasoned. Our friend Mark, had the herb and arugula salad. A healthy combination of greens, the dish was sporadically seasoned. Some bites were exceedingly salty, and other bits were-expected. 



As far as entrees went, Mark and I fought back and forth upon who would order what. Both the duck breast and stout braised venison sounded great to each of us. I ended up with the venison, and clearly I was the winner of the skirmish. The duck was fine, if small, but was served with cold mashed potatoes and a mushrooms that had no apparent vision. The venison on the other hand was warm all the way around, and seemed cohesive in thought. The beer reduction on the plate added bitter hop notes to heighten the gamy meat. For Brandon, scallops, three perfectly cooked pieces on a small bed of risotto, pooled by an intensely spicy curry sauce.



Although each item we ordered came out in a beautifully elegant stance, there were flaws to be found with every step forward. Everything was tasty enough and it was clear that the chefs do know what they are doing, but they need to work on balance. Between the noise and the prices I am not sure if I will be going back. Overall it was a wonderful time, and the waitress was quite nice, An interesting stop that may need some consideration.


Keep Eating,
JTFussy

No comments:

Post a Comment