Monday, February 24, 2014

Old Bag of Nails

Oh Columbus, you are near and dear to me. I've grown so much over the time that I've spent here. Not all of my growth has been positive, as it often is, yet I feel that growth of any sort always brings you a skill or thought that will aid you.

As we go through our daily tasks, we are often overcome with stress. These outwardly pressures leak into our personal lives and can disrupt simple things (like timely calls home, or posting on your blog). While we grow and pass through these obstacles, it's important to stay yourself, and be as humble as you can. Columbus, though I've neglected to report back to you as often as I'd like; I still haven't stopped my pursuit of finding that next tasty morsel.

 It's been awhile since my last trip to Old Bag of Nails, but I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by my visit. After a long day at work, for both Brandon and myself, we decided go for a late dinner at a Columbus classic. Old Bag, is just that- and unpretentious bar that requires no real fuss. It was a perfect fit for the evening, even though I wouldn't say it's an "all occasion" place.

The hostess and our waitress were both pleasant and very candid. They joked around and when we showed true interest in how the day was going, we were told not only of the good, but confessed the usual server laments. Even with a very limited wine menu, we split a bottle and the waitress attempted and succeeded with the proper wine service.

Our first choice of appetizers were all sold out, but we opted four a soup and salad. The Clam chowder was tasty, heavy on the pepper but the clams weren't over cooked and chewy. The wedge salad was typical, but large and fresh.

We moved into the entrees, baskets of fried fishy goodness. Brandon got the fisherman's basket, a sampling of fried scallops, shrimp, and fish. All cooked perfectly enough, and delivered hot and crispy with a load of largely sliced actual steak fries (a bit large for classic adornment of malt vinegar, but tasty nonetheless).  I had the standard fish and chips, not adventurous at all, although nothing on the menu really is, close to the fisherman's basket, but with one point making it worth the selection- it's bottomless!

We finish out the meal with a few milkshakes, icy but with a homey feel that took me back to malt shops of my childhood. A simple stop, that warrants a trip if you've never been. If you have a craving for a few fillets and a pint- by all means stop by Old bag, but don't expect to be wowed by this cheeky bar.

http://www.oldbagofnails.com/

Keep Eating,
JTFussy

No comments:

Post a Comment