Monday, March 17, 2014

Thurman's Cafe

183 Thurman Ave, Columbus, OH 43206
(614) 443-1570


From one end of the burger spectrum to the next...

I covered one of the emerging veggie burger companies recently, and have decided it was time to give you some thoughts on a Columbus staple for meaty indulgences. Thurman's Cafe in German Village, is a burger Meca for those craving a 3/4 pound sandwich.

From what I have heard, the place for a big, juicy, and delicious burger is Thurman's, or at least that is what all the reviews boast. So while in the neighborhood, Brandon and I decided to pop my Thurman's cherry and wait for a table.

The atmosphere is very family friendly. They have loads of bright neon lights and an eclectic decor that shoots out of the wooden walls. The place is much smaller than I imagined; seating is tight, and the place is relatively dark. The menus are wrapped in generic plastic sheathing, but fit in to the atmosphere of signed dollars and engraved seats.

The menu itself, is pretty extensive and covers what the general burger joint offers, while offering choices for those who would prefer a different type of sandwich or (heaven forbid) a salad. From what I saw at other tables all the offerings would come out LARGE! But seeing as this was my first time, we both had to stick with the burger. 

Frankly, I don't understand the point of food being that large. Perhaps I'm a wimp though. I do understand the novelty wrapped up in "Big Food" and can appreciate an eating competition- I just have to question it's necessity. With that being said, the burger tasted great.

I decided to play it simple, and just order a medium-rare bacon ranch burger. The patty came out medium-well, to well done, but was still juicy enough that I didn't have to choke it down. The toppings were expected, but delicious and well executed. The sandwich was served with onion straws that could have been fresher. From what I sampled of Brandon's burger, the fries too could have been fresher, and the sandwich itself wasn't cooked to the specify temperature- though tasty.

If you need a meat fix, and don't mind a bit of a wait, By all means try out Thurman's. I am quite certain that you will find something to suit you. A fun, friendly environment Thuman's Cafe will be sure to send you off with an achingly full stomach and a smile on your face.

Keep Eating,
JTFussy

No comments:

Post a Comment