Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Skillet



Address: 410 E Whittier St, Columbus, OH 43206
Phone:(614) 443-2266

Family owned, responsible ingredients, phenomenal. 


I was once asked, when I started this project, what I would say when I finally got around to reviewing Skillet.  Those words are all I can offer when it comes down to it.


I had been there a few times before I decided to actually give them a write up. The small restaurant sits down in German Village, and holds close to (maybe)20 people. Their logo is Rustic Urban Food- and on that- they deliver. There are restaurants that give you a lot of panache and most often fall short, Skillet isn't one of those restaurants. They give you real food, cooked correctly, with no strings attached. 

I found myself in an odd position, actually being able to get lunch from Skillet. Typically with the work schedule I can't make it down. So with it having been decided that it would be a Skillet day, Brandon and I made our trip down. 


We were immediately sat, something that can be difficult with the small interior. Our waiter was charming and joked with us as he took the order. Brandon had iced tea and mine was hot. The hot tea contained bits of  toasted rice, adding a delightful nutty flavor. The iced tea was brewed fine, but the raspberry flavor seemed artificial, whether or not it was-I think I'll never know. For our first course we indulged in soup. He the chickpea puree, and I a tomato bisque. The puree was pleasantly textured and had a pungent cumin nose to it- very warming on the rainy afternoon. The bisque was beautiful, heavy bodied and fresh- there were small bits of peppered bacon throughout.

After a few minutes we got our main course. I, after choosing it last time, had to get the macaroni and cheese. Perfectly tender noodles wrapped up in a just-thick-enough Laurel Valley Creamery cheese sauce, topped with large chucks of seared Bluescreek ham and arugula. I was in heaven. Each bite was full of flavor, but the occasional encounter of salty pork became fireworks inside of my mouth. 


Luckily Brandon wasn't able to finish his lamb burger. I can honestly say I've never had a lamb burger (perhaps even a beef burger) that even comes close to the symphony that was nestled in between those toasted brioche buns. The perfectly toasted buns with just a nip of char, contained a perfectly seasoned, perfectly cooked, juicy lamb patty with herb whipped Cloverton Cheese (again Laurel Valley) and pea shoots from Swainway Farms.  Sweet, salty, fresh, and just the perfect amount of lamb flavor.I am speechless to further praise this sandwich- it was that good.

Unfortunately that is where the meal had to end, we were too full to continue. Although I haven't had their dinner offerings, lunch and breakfast are some of the best to be found in the city. Skillet is within the top 3 restaurants I've eaten at in the Columbus., If you haven't gone (ever or recently) GO! 

Keep Eating,
JTFussy

No comments:

Post a Comment